Time: July 21, 2018 from 6pm to 9pm
Location: Sticks and Stones
Street: 11037 Lee Highway
Website or Map: http://sticksandstonescircle.…
Event Type: drum, circle
Organized By: Shunka
Latest Activity: Jun 28, 2018
A spiritual thread connects us all. When we drum, we create vibrations. When we drum together, those vibrations fill us with the vitality of the group along with the infinite message of whatever drum one beats, whatever rattle one shakes. When we drum together we are one with our own heartbeat and that heartbeat is shared with the group through the pulse of the rhythm. The Rhythm then swirls and churns, then bursts out in spirals and fractals in every direction to fill whatever spirit it touches with the joy and love consecrated within the circle.
There is a place for beginners and experienced drummers in our circle. We will drum, chant, trance and even dance if we want to! There may even be some didgeridoos!
So won't you join us for some drum lovin', booty shaking fun. First Friday and third Saturday of every month baby! lets JAMMMMM!!!!
Led by: Shunka
Shunka is a multi-media artist residing in the Northern Virginia area where he enjoys exploring its woods searching for rocks to climb, ritual spaces to conjure up trickery, and conversing with the local flora and fauna. You may find him in the canopy in search of a view or in the dirt pursuing insects and reptiles. A creature of extremes, he also thrives while whizzing through NoVA's impossible traffic on his sleek yellow bike, Princezz Dye.
Shunka first fell in love with drumming while bumming around the charming town of Panajachel in his native Guatemala, with its majestic lake and imposing volcanoes, he jammed on street corners with fellow fearie folk for simple chips and kicks.
He has taken lessons with the great Kristen Arant in the marvelous art of the Djembe and accompanying West African Percussion and dabbles within the realm of other musical instruments. The banjo, American Indian Flute, and Yadaki (didgeridoo) to name a few. He is part of the Nen Daiko Taiko Drum Troupe apprentice program which is teaching him great discipline and getting him into tip top shape as he is looking forward to playing with them for many years to come.
With practice and experience he came to realize that all these drums, each with it's particular voice and character, were not just exquisite musical instruments but that they were also transcendent tools, each inhabited by spirits that have existed since the dawn of time. For thousands of years they have moved humanity to gather and connect, to create, to heal, to communicate, to dance...to Love and Transcend.
Sticks and Stones is not responsible for any states of altered consciousness or ecstasy that may naturally occur ;)
1. Feel free to arrange and decorate the space before your event, and make sure before you go to leave it as you found it.
2. Hot water and tea are provided by the store and you are welcome to help yourselves. We accept donations in the form of money, tea, paper products, dish soap, etc, to help pay for this free service.
3. You are welcome to bring snacks and drinks to your event (no alcohol.) It is suggested that you bring any utensils and plates if needed, however we might have some available from previous donations if you forget.
4. Children must be accompanied by an adult at all times, in all areas of the store. Anyone under 18 must have a parent or guardian present to take any of the workshops/classes.
5. Sticks and Stones respects each and everyone’s spiritual path; we do not discriminate based on race, religion, sexuality, political views, etc. Please be kind and respectful with your discussions, as we have many people from all faiths entering our store during business hours.